|photos above from the inspired room|
The thing I put to use right away was the spool of bias binding, seen in the lower right hand corner, above. It cost me next to nothing and I know I'll use it in a ton of craft projects, like the one I'm currently doing: making a bunch of bird-related tags for the "Bird Song Tag Swap" that Karla Nathan is hosting. Here they are in progress:
Each tag has an added sewn-on pocket, with a couple of tiny tags tucked in for a little bonus:
The tags needed some kind of ribbon or tie, and this champagne-colored bias binding was perfect--nice and neutral, and thin enough to thread through the tiny holes. The binding isn't like regular seam binding; it's wider (about 1"+) and doesn't have a finished edge. So the edges on this stuff fray a bit when handled, and look worn and shabby. I like it.
(oops, I just noticed I still haven't added some stamped words I had meant to). I'll be sending 7 of them off soon,
and then will receive back a book of 8 of them put together from a random sampling of the 150-or-so participants' submissions. It will be fun to see what I'll get back.
So, that's how I used my garage sale find. Enough of this....I have to go to work now. My real job is calling (darn it).